Skip to main content

What is Philena At Home?

 


Philena At Home is... 

My safe space. My judgement free zone. The place I share my art, my vision for life, and my opinions of the world. 

I am Philena and This is 


Philena at Home started out as my take on the modern black family blog. It was everything from breast feeding and fresh baby food, to early childhood education and the black stay at home mompreneur lifestyle. 

As my kids are getting older and I am regaining some of  my freedom, I am getting back to myself.  I am getting in shape, growing my natural hair, meditating, praying, and attempting to live up to my expectations. 

I'm starting a new career as a Writer. I've wanted to do this full time for a while but didn't have the courage to step out there. I was afraid I would be rejected because of my background and lack of education, but these days I'm making my own way. Shout out to all Youtubers and Instagram comedians and models who inspired me to stop standing there and jump. 

Philena At Home is now my resume, it's my portfolio, it's my scrapbook, and my journal. It's my novellas and shorties, tv pilots, and movie ideas. 

It's behind the scenes with me as I create the life of my dreams. 

Everything you read here was written on purpose with passion. Some pieces will be deep and intellectual others will be fun and funny, and a few  will be about buying shoes with an 8 year old little girl because my life is not black and white... it's filled with colors, and patterns and moods and mood swings. 

Philena At Home is my real life. 

If you are reading this know that you are not here by accident. I believe wholeheartedly that the only people to get this far into my story are people who are destined to learn from me, be entertained by me, create with me, or teach me something. Whichever , whatever, whenever, I am here for it all.


Thank you for checking me out! Thank you for staying until the end.... 

I am Philena and This is Philena At Home!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The kids are headed back to school, but there's a HUGE problem

School starts next week, and I have concerns.   I just read that our school district is down 1800 teachers. I don't know what my kids will be learning this year or who will be teaching them and I'm nervous. I've spoken with a few teachers and administrator friends I have who work for the district and they're confident things will be alright, but they are always hopeful after a good long summer break. I on the other hand am not so optimistic.  Last year my daughter had two teachers pack up mid-day and leave never to return again. My son had a substitute for math the entire year. Last year the district was down 781 teachers, this year's number is more than double that! I don't know what they have planned, or if they even have a plan!  I was considering home school, it worked really well for us during covid, but I'mma just be honest, I don't really want to do it! I know how important my kid's education is and I don't have the time needed to ensure t

Starting A New Chapter in 2020

Hello Everyone!!! My name is Philena, but you can call me Phil, and this is Phil's Real Life! MY NEW BLOG! For the past 7 years I have been a stay at home mom and although being home with my children  has been  a blessing,  I'm ready to get back to work! Here's My Story 20 years ago, this year, I graduated high school. I went straight to college after,  with high hopes of becoming an elementary school teacher. Things were going okay and then life took an unexpected turn. I lost my financial aid, my job and my apartment in a matter of weeks. My support system was there, but no one was in a financial position to help me so I  moved back home. I stayed with family until I was able to get on my feet..  I found a job and got a  place of my own pretty quickly. I tried to save money so that I could go back to school but I could barely pay my rent with the job I was able to get. I couldn't even afford community college.  After a few  tries I found a job that pai

About Philena At Home

Welcome !   I am Philena proud mommy of two, loving wife to an incredible king, and woman fast approaching 40, I mean like a few  days  from now fast. I am learning who I am at this age and stage in life and deciding what I want to do about it is a journey!   You have stumbled upon my journal/ my blog Philena At Home.  It’s  a place where I spend a lot of time talking myself through life and its many mysteries twists and turns. I give my opinion, I vent, I give advice, and I ask for some too.     I have  been writing here for almost ten years off and on. I started when my daughter was born with the intention of creating a stream of income to ensure I could stay home and raise her and still pay my portion of the bills. I wanted to be home with her but being dependent on a man for  all of  our daily needs was crazy to me at that time. I went from Miss Independent to Mrs. and  Mommy too quick for my comfort level. Back then I thought this blog making money was vital to our survival. My op