Skip to main content

Unpacking: How I'm doing these days

 Hey! I woke up ready to talk, I hope you're ready. 


I came up during the pandemic. 

It felt like divine intervention. We were broke. Dead broke and struggling. We were living check to check off one income. Our budget was tight, but we were making it until some ass hole stole my husband's debit card information and went on a shopping spree somewhere in Kansas with our rent money! 

It was like the smoking volcano finally erupted. Our landlord was an even bigger ass hole than the one who stole our money, of course and wouldn't give us an extension on our rent while we sorted things out with the bank.  Now to add insult to injury we were facing eviction. 

I thought I was going to break. It was like a never-ending cycle, but a voice inside me (I now know that voice to be my intuition/ the God in me, but we'll talk about that another day) said just wait and watch. Find an apartment move and watch. 

We didn't have many choices, so I did what I felt and when I tell you there was a shift in our finances that very day. 

It started as a little drizzle. My husband's job gave him an unexpected bonus. The bank refunded us all of the money that was stolen. We were able to move into an amazing apartment with one month free rent up front, so we were able to get ahead a bit. It just kept going and going and going. When I say we are better than we have ever been on this side of the pandemic it feels like an understatement. 

Fast forward to now

Life is good. 

You know how I said I've never experienced anything like this before... I mean NEVER.

 I was raised on survival. I lived my twenties in survival mode. I had kids, and got married in my thirties, all while broke! I am finally able to relax and live a normal life and I don't even know what that means. 

I have PTSD! My mom laughed when I told her, but when I shared my perspective, she cried. I hate seeing food wasted even in movies and tv shows. I won't spend money on myself, or on frivolous things aka anything we don't need. My husband says get your nails done get your hair done it's ok we got it now we're ok, and my answer is always no I can do it myself ..... I will never go back!! 

This is a day to day struggle. Every time I think I'm okay something will happen like someone will invite us somewhere and I'll automatically make up an excuse as to why we won't be able to make it because I don't have anything to wear and I refuse to go out and get an outfit because you guessed it... I will never go back!

That struggle was real. Bouncing from couch to couch when you're single with no kids is one thing. I can't be bouncing from couch to couch with my kids and husband in tow. With things being so expensive it's really easy to end up in a tent or under a bridge.

We are nowhere near losing everything or anything for that matter these days. I 'm doing some major self work right now to try to heal and move forward. 

When I'm not spazzing out because my kid threw away a half sandwich I'm working on a new project with my husband.  

We took a little bit of our newfound freedom and invested in ourselves and have started a luxury picnic business.

I started a Mystery shopping and Merchandising company last summer to pay the bills, and it's actually doing pretty good. 

That's about it except for the fact that I'm writing again, as you can see I guess. The blog is creating a little passive income and increasing our freedom. 

That was a-lot of unpacking!  I'm glad you were here to go through it with me. I'll dive deeper into some of the things I mention here as we go forward. What do you think so far? How are you handling things right now? Let me know in the comments below or on any of my social media. 


Talk soon

Love Philena

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The kids are headed back to school, but there's a HUGE problem

School starts next week, and I have concerns.   I just read that our school district is down 1800 teachers. I don't know what my kids will be learning this year or who will be teaching them and I'm nervous. I've spoken with a few teachers and administrator friends I have who work for the district and they're confident things will be alright, but they are always hopeful after a good long summer break. I on the other hand am not so optimistic.  Last year my daughter had two teachers pack up mid-day and leave never to return again. My son had a substitute for math the entire year. Last year the district was down 781 teachers, this year's number is more than double that! I don't know what they have planned, or if they even have a plan!  I was considering home school, it worked really well for us during covid, but I'mma just be honest, I don't really want to do it! I know how important my kid's education is and I don't have the time needed to ensure t

I'm here I didn't quit!

 It's day two of my consistency challenge and I'm already feeling the heat. I got a late start on my day. I usually wake up around 5am and read, I make sure the kids are up and getting ready around 6, We leave at 7:15 and I'm back home cleaning getting ready for my morning workout by 8. By10 I am full of green juice and green water and ready to start work creating word art! Today I woke up at 6:40am the kids were still asleep and didn't want to get up. We didn't leave until 7:45. After I dropped them off, I went to pick up our grocery order and what usually takes me five -ten minutes max took more than thirty minutes because everyone called off today. There was literally one woman bringing out all of the orders and at least ten cars waiting. I was cool, didn't Black Karen out, life is good, I had all the patience for waiting and even more gratitude that I didn't have to go in and do it myself. I took the time to do the reading I didn't do earlier. By the

What is Philena At Home?

  Philena At Home is...  My safe space. My judgement free zone. The place I share my art, my vision for life, and my opinions of the world.  I am Philena and This is  Philena at Home started out as my take on the modern black family blog. It was everything from breast feeding and fresh baby food, to early childhood education and the black stay at home mompreneur lifestyle.  As my kids are getting older and I am regaining some of  my freedom, I am getting back to myself.  I am getting in shape, growing my natural hair, meditating, praying, and attempting to live up to my expectations.  I'm starting a new career as a Writer. I've wanted to do this full time for a while but didn't have the courage to step out there. I was afraid I would be rejected because of my background and lack of education, but these days I'm making my own way. Shout out to all Youtubers and Instagram comedians and models who inspired me to stop standing there and jump.  Philena At Home is now my resu